THE QUIET ONE

“Can we start dinner, please? I am starving.” I smiled. I was standing next to Mom and Uncle Charlie, my favourite relative. I looked past Mom and noticed that Dad had kept a hand on his belly when he spoke. My mom’s eyes softened. “Yes, let’s go, everybody.” As I sat down between Uncle Charlie and Dad, I looked around the dinner table, mentally checking who was there. Aunt Mary, Aunt Charlotte, Uncle Christopher, Cousin Sara, Cousin Matthew, Cousin Kyra and Grandma Smith. Three individuals were missing.

“Aunt Charlotte, Danny didn’t come?” I enquired. She had flaming red hair, which had cloned itself in her children. I was already feeling quite uncomfortable in the blue dress I had been asked to wear but when Aunt Charlotte looked at me, I realised what true discomfort feels like. “Danny thinks he has found love. He is out with his girlfriend, some Erica, and has refused to attend any family gathering until I accept her. She’s from the wrong side of the city, you know.” The way she said, ‘you know’ puzzled me, like I had some experience with the ‘wrong side of the city.’

“Ah, okay. What about Marla and Kenny? Aren’t they supposed to be back for holidays?” They were Aunt Mary’s twins. I looked at her when I spoke but she continued taking out mashed potatoes from the bowl.

“Mary? Are you okay?” My mother looked at her, concerned. Aunt Mary finally looked up and said, in a monotonous tone, “They decided to stay at college for the holidays. They wanted to work on their Summer Project. It’s like I do not matter to them, anymore.” My dad coughed and everybody turned to look at him. He smiled sheepishly, “Mary, I’m sure they were genuinely busy. Now, why don’t we start eating? Everyone will feel better.”

It was hard to suppress a smile. I looked down at my plate and realised I had forgotten to take anything. “Can you pass me the brisket, Kyra?”

“Ew, brisket? I’m vegan, now, okay? I do not touch meat. Besides, you might want to watch your fat intake, Amy. You’re gaining a lot of weight.” I rolled my eyes. Kyra believed that she was above everyone else, especially her family. Which explained why she was glued to her phone as she spoke.

Before I could reply, Matthew said, “Geez, Kyra. I didn’t know shopping for crocodile skin hand-bags was a Vegan ritual.” She dropped her phone on her lap faster than you could say B-O-O. Her face was scarlet. “Who do you think you are, Matt, to pry on what I do on my phone?”

He looked innocent, like he had no idea what she was talking about. Matthew always found a way to annoy her, which made me immensely pleased.

“Children, can we please focus on the food and talk nicely?” Grandma Smith chimed in. “You’re right, mother. See, I’ve already eaten everything I served myself,” Uncle Christopher proudly announced. He made everyone, at the table, even Aunt Charlotte and Aunt Mary, laugh. Matthew passed the brisket and as I was putting the first piece on my plate, Sara cleared her throat. I realised she hadn’t laughed and was looking rather solemn.

She opened her mouth and after a suspenseful period of ten seconds, spoke, “I’m pregnant.”

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts