BOGOSHIPDA

Translation: I Miss You.

Dear Daddy Nana

You know, I have never quite found myself at such a loss of words. I have thought about writing this for over two months now, but my mind becomes so blank, and my throat starts to contract. It made me question my abilities as a writer. I know you’d laugh if you were here right now, telling me to relax, and write about what I feel. That what is in my heart is pure, and it would make what I pen down good, automatically. I miss someone having such faith in me, that way you did.

Do you remember, when I was little, how I refused to eat breakfast without you? I insisted on being fed by you. Spreading butter on bread, and then topping it with Aloo Bhujiya, accompanied by tea. Ah, a classic. Sitting on your lap for hours, as you told me stories. I wish I could remember them all. I could see love in your eyes, the way your eyebrows perked up every time I entered the room, saying, ‘Assalamualekum, Daddy!’ Towards the end too, you were always cheerful for me, listening to me intently as I talked about the various events taking place in school, as I narrated the status of the US Elections, as I updated you on the COVID cases and told you about how I felt. You were always such a good listener. I miss having someone who was so focused and concerned for me, so unconditionally.

You know who I hold up as an idol, when it comes to love? No, it is not Salim from
Mughal-e-Azam
(I finally watched it, you would have liked to hear my views on it), or Romeo from Romeo and Juliet. It is you. Every time you talked about Mummy Nani, you blushed. I’ve never seen anything sweeter. You really loved her, didn’t you? And, oh, to think you were surprised that she agreed to marry you, and so did her father, to let her? You were a great man, but I think you never realized how bright you shone, and how you were an anchor, for all of us.

You were like my father, my Guardian Angel, the man who read duas and blessed me before I stepped out of the house, every time, without fail; who defended me when Mumma was angry with me, or when I wanted something but was not granted it. When I could not have a proper conversation with you, you would ask for me, and when I came, you would say, ‘Hina beta, kaha thi aap itne din se?’ Your little anecdotes from your life, and your little sher and chutkule, they always made us laugh and added colour to our lives. What did I do to deserve you?

You might have lost your eyesight back in ’94, but you were able to see the person I really was, even if I hid it from the world. You could sense the anxiety in my voice, and would always ask me what the problem was. I brushed it off, but oh, I want that back. I want to talk to you.

This letter is a little messed up, and I am not even sure if there is any structure. I just want you to know, that I love you, and I miss you. You are in a better place now, and I hope you are happy. I will make you proud, okay? One day, people will know me as the girl who was Mustafa Jamal Rushdi’s granddaughter. No matter where you are, I will think of you as the person who gives me the wings to fly, but grounds me enough to not fly too close to the sun.

Bogoshipda (I miss you), and sarangheyo (I love you), Daddy.

Yours

Hina.

Comments

  1. I am sure that Daddy was and would continue to be very very proud of you, sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so beautiful.💕💯

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written my dear.Every word describes true feelings from the heart.I am proud of you and am sure your Nana too is proud to have a granddaughter like you..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hina!!! You are an amazing write and an amazing daughter. Keep growing! This letter was so heart warming and I hope you are doing well now. Lots of love and best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautifully expressed! Strength and good fortune be upon you to achieve what's best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. May the almighty grant him jannah. It is indeed too much relatable for me, as i live with my nanu and he is the only one whom i share my tragedies, my relation with the people and the reality of so called DUNIYA. In your upcoming writeups, i request you to please write on how teens and middle aged people can cure their depression sitting among oldies and sharing things with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aameen.
      Thank you for the suggestion! I will definitely write an article on this. :)

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Di I'm not a reader as such n i often don't read long posts but i seriously couldnt stop myself from reading this...
    This really took me to the the lovely bond of u 2...!!🥺❤️


    N i hope he is happy,blessed n in peace wherever he is...🥺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kashish! :)
      This means a lot to me.

      Delete
  9. It was such an emotional letter which you wrote to you such a person who really deserved this kind of love from each human being in this world ❤️ After reading this letter of yours, Di I have also started to imagine him in my mind but I am unsure how truly he was. But, the main thing is that everybody should be remembered by their inner beauty and I am sure that he was a really beautiful person :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! :) This means so much to me. And, yes, everybody should be remembered for their inner beauty, it is the most important and significant kind of beauty.

      Delete
  10. It's a notion that words are not enough to express..... You proved it it's wrong almost ......Awesome God bless you Hina.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautifully penned by a beautiful girl!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loaded with feelings...Touches the heart directly

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts